Sunday, December 30, 2007

My blog, my thoughts......on 08 proposed rules

As many of us have been reading the proposed rule changes for 2008, may I remind those that either agree or don't agree, or whatever, to give their director input to their thoughts. Send an email to them. SSA website has their email addresses. Even the rules committe asks for your inputs on these proposed changes. Trust me, they want your thoughts.
Let me say that a contest is not required to go to Parowan and enjoy the soaring it has to offer. Many go before and after a contest is held, and since only 3 contests so far have been put on their, none of them have ever been full. That's right, even last year, we came up with 49 entrants (even JJ got in) and on the first contest day, I asked the USAF academy if they would like to move a cadet into an entrant slot. Boy, that made that young man happy and he even made sure we spelled his name right.
My personal thoughts on super regionals are we should not just target one or 2 sites. Regionals have always been that, for in region folks first. No matter where they are held. Alot, if not, all regionals, do target new comers, which our sport does need. Regionals are designed for choosing regional winners and encourageing newcomers. Saying one site is safer than another is hog wash and really pulls my string. You say what??? I say Caprock, go land out their, west of Tatum, or southwest of Hobbs. Warner Springs, I say, I know one very good contest pilot, who fly's out of Ely, does 1,000 k flights, and at Warner Springs, he and I, ya, me, at their regional had a very hard time breaking the string on the first day and getting away. Heck, theirs an area NW of Perry that will pull your string, and when I was an advisor their several years ago, a top pilot, whos a director, came up and chewed on me for sending us in that direction. I said Charlie did it..........yep. Mifflin, New Castle, Montaque, man, give me a break. Minden hasn't filled in years, Ely goes empty. Parowan can hold 60 now. 07 we had 58, Everybody worked with each other, it was good. Look on RAS, the racers even were happy.
What we do need, is what we have been doing, offering the new folks mentors, and morning racing camps, teaching them and watching them grow in our sport. Should we lock these new folks out of a regional where they live, soar in and are problay adding more to than we are??............ God, I hope not.......